A delightful comfort food that’s really close to my heart; Southern Tomato Gravy and Biscuits is a family recipe that’s great any time of the day. As a hearty breakfast or a satisfying dinner, this classic dish never fails to bring warmth and flavor to your table.
What you Need to Make Southern Tomato Gravy and Biscuits:
Straight from the heart of Southern cuisine, this timeless recipe hails from generations ago. Best made with fresh, ripe tomatoes and simple black pepper, get ready for the essence of Southern comfort.
For the best results, opt for homegrown tomatoes of any variety when they’re in season (I always have too many to keep up in my gardens!) Their vibrant flavors truly shine here. I love to use bacon drippings to kick up the savory goodness in the gravy. Here’s what you’ll need:
Southern Tomato Gravy and Biscuits Ingredients
- Fresh ripe tomatoes (any variety)
- Bacon drippings
- All-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper
- Biscuits (homemade pan-fried recipe or store-bought)
Why You’ll Love Tomato Gravy and Biscuits
- Comfort Food: This dish envelops you in Southern comfort, making it a go-to for satisfying cravings and bringing warmth to the table.
- Versatile Delight: Great served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It suits any occasion and offers a dose of soul-soothing goodness.
- Classic Southern Flavors: With each bite, you’ll savor the blend of ripe tomatoes, bacon drippings, and tender flaky biscuits.
- Heartwarming Tradition: By capturing the heart and heritage of Southern cuisine, Tomato Gravy and Biscuits are a tradition that’s sure to become a favorite in your kitchen.
What is Southern Tomato Gravy and Biscuits?
Southern Tomato Gravy and Biscuits is a simple and classic Southern dish. A timeless recipe that combines fresh tomatoes, bacon drippings, and flour to create a flavorful gravy poured over tender, homemade biscuits. You’ll love this heartwarming essence of Southern cuisine in all of its simplicity.
How to Make Tomato Gravy and Biscuits
Get ready to savor a true Southern gem with this simple step-by-step guide to making Southern Tomato Gravy and Biscuits:
- Prep the Ingredients: Gather your tomatoes, bacon grease/drippings, all-purpose flour, salt, and black pepper. If you’re using store-bought biscuits, have them ready as well.
- Prepare the Tomato Gravy: Start by cooking the bacon drippings in a pan or skillet. Whisk in the flour to create a roux, allowing it to cook for a minute or two until a golden color. (Don’t overcook!)
- Tomatoes and Milk: Add the diced tomatoes and milk into the roux, stirring gently to combine. Season the mixture with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer and Thicken: Allow the tomato mixture to simmer on low heat until it thickens into a velvety gravy. The flavors of the tomatoes and spices will meld beautifully.
- Bake the Biscuits: While the gravy is simmering, bake your biscuits. (re-heated biscuits work great as well!)
- Serve and Enjoy: Split the biscuits and ladle the tomato gravy over them. Enjoy!
Southern Tomato Gravy and Biscuits
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced, or 1 can (fresh is better)
- 3 tbsp bacon grease, or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 homemade biscuits, or store-bought
- Dice the tomatoes and set aside.
- In a skillet, add the bacon grease or oil on medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or two, allowing the roux to brown a little. (Don't overcook!)
- Add your diced tomatoes and water into the roux, stirring gently to combine. Slowly add the milk while stirring.
- Allow the tomato mixture to simmer on low heat until it thickens into a velvety gravy, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the gravy simmers, bake (or reheat) your biscuits until they're golden brown and perfectly fluffy.
- To serve, split the biscuits in half and ladle the tomato gravy over them. Enjoy!