Nothing says summer like a bowl of fruit salad for dessert. Not only is our old fashioned fruit salad a delicious treat, it’s also incredibly easy to make.
With the classic recipe for fruit salad comes dozens of variations, using your imagination you can probably switch this up 20 different ways easily. But sometimes returning to the traditional recipe has its own charm! Follow below and enjoy our old fashioned fruit salad with friends and family.
How long will this fruit salad last in fridge?
Fruit salad is a classic dish that can be enjoyed as a light dessert or as part of an appetizer. Best made and enjoyed the same day. But if you make a large batch, it’s important to know how long it will last in the refrigerator.
We recommend, for best results, to store your old-fashioned fruit salad in an airtight container and keep it refrigerated until served. It will stay fresh for two or three days before needing to be thrown out. The fruit salad is actually safe to eat after this time, but the flavors start to muddle together and textures of each fruit are weakened after a couple days.
If you’re looking for ways to extend the life of your fruit salad, the best trick is to add acidic like orange juice or lemon juice. This will help keep the fruit from spoiling quickly. Also a spoonful of sugar or honey can help create a syrup that helps preserve the flavors of the fruits and vegetables in the salad.
Follow our recipe below for old fashioned fruit salad, and enjoy the classic sweet and tart flavors.
Old Fashioned Fruit Salad
- 1 cup mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 cans fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1 cup peeled diced apple
- 2 bananas sliced, (optional)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Strain out your mandarin oranges (if using canned) and your fruit cocktail.
- Slice your seedless grapes in half and place into large mixing bowl
- Peel your favorite variety of apple, core and dice into 1/2 inch sized pieces. Add to the grapes, along with your sliced bananas, and mini marshmallows.
- Now add your drained fruit cocktail and oranges along with the whipped cream. Mix thoroughly until perfectly coated and uniform.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours ideally before serving.