A delightful Southern classic, pretty much everyone loves Peach Cobbler! This dessert brings the sweetness of peaches and warm, buttery crust together in every bite. This recipe uses canned peaches to make it simple to prepare regardless of season. Best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
What you Need to Make Peach Cobbler:
We keep it really simple for this one. If you want to use fresh peaches, go ahead! But for this recipe I’ll opt for canned peaches.
Easy Peach Cobbler Ingredients
- Canned peaches
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Ground cinnamon
How to Make Easy Peach Cobbler
- Prepare the Peaches: Start by peeling and slicing fresh peaches or using canned peaches. If using fresh peaches, make sure they are ripe and juicy.
- Create the Filling: In a bowl, combine the peaches with granulated sugar, a touch of cinnamon, and a splash of vanilla extract. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Make the Biscuit Topping: In another bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Cut in cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Assemble the Cobbler: Transfer the peach filling to a baking dish and dot it with butter for extra richness. Drop spoonfuls of the biscuit dough over the peaches.
- Bake to Perfection: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Serve and Enjoy: Let the peach cobbler cool slightly before serving. Serve it warm, optionally with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Why You’ll Love Easy Peach Cobbler
- Classic Southern Comfort: Peach cobbler is the epitome of Southern comfort food, combining juicy sweetness of peaches and tender biscuit topping.
- Simple Ingredients & Big Flavor: With just a handful of ingredients, you’ll create a dessert that’s bursting with flavor.
- Showcase Seasonal Peaches: During peach season, there’s no better way to showcase the natural sweetness and juiciness of this summer fruit.
- Crowd-Pleasing Delight: Talk about a crowd-pleaser! Family gatherings to potlucks, peach cobbler is a dessert that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
What is Peach Cobbler?
Peach Cobbler is a simple Southern dessert combining fresh or canned peaches with a tender crust. The peaches are usually sweetened and lightly spiced. The cobbler crust is made from a simple mixture of flour, butter, and baking powder, resulting in a golden and flaky topping that is irresistible.
Cooking Tips and Variations
Cooking Tips for Peach Cobbler
- Canned vs Fresh Peaches: In this recipe I’ve used canned since its easy to get year round and quick and easy. Using fresh peaches is great too, just a bit more work to peel and slice.
- Uniform Slices: If you do decide to use fresh peaches, aim for uniform thickness so that to ensure even cooking.
- Adjust Sugar: Depending on the sweetness of your peaches, feel free to adjust the amount of sugar in the filling. Taste a slice before adding the sugar to determine the level of sweetness needed. A cobbler doesn’t need a whole bunch of sugar!
- Spice It Up: Try a bit of extra cinnamon or add cardamom or nutmeg. These warm spices complement the fruit beautifully.
- Mixed Berry Cobbler: Swap out the peaches for a medley of your favorite berries like blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
- Gluten-Free Option: For a gluten-free version, use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend for the topping.
- Nutty Crunch: Add chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts to the topping mixture for an extra layer of flavor and crunch. Yum!
- Citrus Zest: Try some citrus zest (orange or lemon) into the filling for an extra layer of wow.
- Top with Ice Cream: The best way to serve warm peach cobbler is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It is heavenly.
- Drizzle with Honey: Drizzle a bit of honey over the cobbler just before serving for an extra touch of sweetness and presentation factor.
Easy Peach Cobbler (Canned Peaches)
- 1 can sliced peaches (drained), 3-4 peaches if fresh
- 1 stick unsalted butter, 8 tbsp
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain peaches and set aside.
- In a round or square 9 inch glass baking dish, melt the butter in the microwave, allowing it to cover entire dish.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine flour, sugars, milk, cinnamon, baking powder & salt.
- Pour mixed batter onto the melted butter in the baking pan without mixing.
- Pour peach slices on top of the batter mixture, also without mixing.
- Bake the cobbler for 40 minutes uncovered in oven. Enjoy!